Growing Community, Growing Knowledge, Growing Food at Lyttelton Community Garden
Our garden is open every day and can be accessed via the lane between the swimming pool and the playground and up the stairs. Each Wednesday from 10am people come to garden together and contribute a plate to a shared lunch at 12.30pm
The garden serves several purposes
- as a community gathering place to share ideas.
- to help improve community well-being and to be in a place of beauty.
- Offers the opportunity for people learn to grow food and minimise waste.
- A place to share in the bounty of the nutritious spray free food from the garden.
- The garden works on a sweat equity basis.
- The garden is for all residents in the Harbour Basin, young and old.
- Most work is undertaken on a voluntary basis.
- Everyone is encouraged to work in a team either as the champion or helper.
- Regular weekly meetings are held to plan progress, a white board details project progress.
- All gardeners need to be members of Project Lyttelton. The cost is $10 per family per year.
- From time to time gardeners/contractors will be paid for set tasks. This will be determined at meetings. Payment can take the form of Time Dollars or money.Gardeners can claim for all reasonable expenses.
- Members are encouraged to attend weekly.
- Gardeners cannot deviate from the plans without the consent of the group.